The “Write” button takes you to the Writing Tool.
[Jump to related article: Import - How to Import Word Documents or Evernote Notes (with Video)]
The Table of Contents overlay is displayed where you can create new and rearrange chapters in which to write. (You can start outlining and organizing project contents here.)
Once more than one chapter exists, rearrange by clicking the move icon and dragging the chapters up or down.
Sections within chapters can also be created here by dragging chapters within other chapters, thus changing the status to a section: Click, drag and hover over receiving chapter until dotted line box appears, then release. This process can be also be used to create subsections as well by dragging sections into existing sections.
To begin writing, click on "Chapter Name" from the Table of Contents overlay.
From here, the Writing Tool Page View is displayed, and the Chapter Name can be edited and you can write in main writing field.
The Writing Tool functions the same as typical word processor.
The Toolbar at the top of the Writing Tool field includes the following functions represented by icons (from left to right):
- </> or Code view: view and edit HTML markup of chapter (Functions as a toggle).
- B or Bold: Make selected text bold (Functions as a toggle).
- I or Italic: Make selected text italic (Functions as a toggle).
- U or Underline: Make selected text underlined (Functions as a toggle).
- •— or Bullet List: Turn selected text into unordered (bulleted) list (Functions as a toggle).
- 1.— or Number List: Turn selected text into ordered (numbered) list (Functions as a toggle).
- Justify: Set Alignment of selected text: Align text to the left, Center text, Align text to the right, Justify text.
- — or Line: Add horizontal rule at cursor point
- “Save Content” button
On the bottom left of the Writing Tool field, functions include:
- Keyboard Shortcuts – for OS X and Windows Users
- “+ Add Chapter” Shortcut
The accordion navigation to the left of the Writing Tool field, includes:
- Table of Contents - Add blocks to your project. Blocks include: Dedication, Front Matter, Part, Section, Chapter, Callout, Blank, Back Matter.
- Settings – Select the drop down block settings option to change content block type: If content type needs to follow a format other than the standard chapter style of the chosen theme, different content types can be applied here. Select: Chapter (default), Title, Section, Front Matter, Back Matter, Blank and Dedication.
- Check or uncheck to include block in Table of Contents. (Uncheck “Include in published table of contents” if you don’t want this block to appear in the table of contents of your finished publication.)
- Comments - Add comments to project collaborators (counter displays how many comments exist).
- Notes - Add notes for personal use (counter displays how many notes exist).
- History - Shows list of all writing sessions for chapter with latest and previous states available for side-by-side display (green is latest / red is previous). Copy/paste to retrieve selected text.
Delete current block / chapter / section.
Go back to your Dashboard to work on your book project, now.
Or learn more about Spotlight: Knowledgebase Sections:
- Publication Setup Button - How to Prepare for Publishing
- Pricing Your Book
- Post-Publishing & Distribution Next Steps: What to Expect
- How to optimize your document for importing: Import - How to Import Word Documents or Evernote Notes (with Video)
- More about Distribution Options here.
- Get an ISBN + Barcode through FastPencil
- When Will My Book Be Available For Purchase?