FastPencil ensures books are built to perfect specifications, printed on demand upon order and allows Hobbyists, Authors, and Publishers to Print and Publish books and e-books. With a global distribution network and easy to use book-building software, print and publishing professionals are selling books to wider audiences while earning more — 80% net royalties are paid to the published author.
Sign in now to gain free access to your publishing workspace.
Writing tools and version tracking, along with task management and collaboration features, work together to help build Print Books + eBook Bundles with ease.
- To create a Print and e-Book from ONE PROJECT, start here: https://fp.fastpencil.com/start. We'll create print and e-books for all readers on all devices (nook, iPad, kindle, Sony, Kobo, PC, MAC, and more) from YOUR CONTENT. Start organizing your stuff, now! (Jump to related article: Write / Edit Button - How to Add Content)
- Or CONTINUE BELOW FOR ERROR FAQs.
For Print Professionals with access to Adobe Pro, use the DIRECT TO PUBLISH (DTP) PDF uploader utility to skip the writing and organizing tools and go directly to Publication Setup: https://fp.fastpencil.com/publications/new?.
- *Please notice the separate tab for e-Book Upload. To obtain both Print and e-Book from the DTP uploader utility, the publisher must provide both files to perfect specification.
1. The PDF upload tool is for PRINT PROFESSIONALS with access to Adobe Acrobat Pro.
2. Your Print-Ready PDF must comply with these minimum requirements:
Minimum page count: 24 pages
No Bleeds or Crop Marks:
YOUR PRINT-READY PDF MUST NOT HAVE BLEEDS OR CROP MARKS. Your uploaded document must conform to the following accepted sizes (width × height in inches):
For a Black and White Publication: For a Color Publication: 5.0 x 8.0 5.5 x 8.5 5.5 x 8.5 6.0 x 9.0 6.0 x 9.0 8.5 x 8.5 7.0 x 10.0 7.0 x 10.0 8.0 x 10.0 8.0 x 10.0 8.5 x 11.0 8.5 x 11.0
To upload a PDF file for printing, you MUST embed fonts, otherwise the printer might not print correctly.
3. File Type MUST be PDF/X-1a:2001
To create a PDF/X-1a:2001 file, export the PDF as "PDF/x-1a:2001" format. That is the standard that embeds fonts inside the PDF and assures proper output.
In Adobe Acrobat Pro, go to Edit > Preflight > PDF/X Compliance > Analyze and Fix > Save. Verify your document properties by viewing File > Properties > Custom > Value. This ensures the document is ready for upload.
Use this new PDF/X-1a:2001 file for Upload to FastPencil.
Go back to your Dashboard to work on your book project, now.
Or jump to related articles: