Everything you need to know about Cover Design, according to your chosen book format, is located within the Publication Setup Button – the publishing wizard – and can be accessed through your FastPencil Project Dashboard.
When you reach the Book Cover step within the publishing wizard, you will be able to Upload Images, add your Title and Author Name, and select background colors, if desired. It's quick and easy to create your own attractive book cover using our cover design tool.
General Cover Image Design Information
- Design separate art files for the front cover and back cover (TWO JPG or PNG files).
- FastPencil generates the SPINE according to your book page count. You’ll select a solid color that fits your design scheme. Text, if your book is thick enough, can be added.
- Do NOT include Crop Marks.
- Color profile: Save as RGB (our system converts to CMYK).
- Keep text at least 0.5 inches from TRIM edge.
- All pixel dimensions based on 300 PPI (pixels per inch)
Designing Covers with Bleeds (“Enable a border” box IS NOT checked):
When designing and centering your cover artwork and text, DO NOT factor in the page bleed areas, as the printer will cut the printed cover spread at the trim size, removing the bleed sections. If you do not follow this guidance, your cover artwork will not be centered, and cover text could be truncated.
Our dimensions assume a .625" bleed area on all sides of the cover spread. Your design should extend at least .25" into the bleed area, and the additional space should be padded in your file so your image matches the dimensions shown below (trimming your image could cause distortion during printing).
- Front cover: Include .25" of bleed on the top, RIGHT, and bottom edges, but not on the LEFT edge.
- Back cover: Include .25" of bleed on the top, LEFT, and bottom edges, but not on the RIGHT edge.
Designing a cover without extending images into bleeds (WITH “Enable a border” box checked):
Cover images not extended into bleeds will have a horizontal and vertical background color border around the front and back cover images, on soft covers this will be .25 inch vertical and .375 inch horizontal, hard covers will have .5 inch vertical on gutter side and .25 inch face side, and .50 inch horizontal border.
A NOTE ABOUT THE BACK COVER
Printed in this approximately 1” tall space:
- FastPencil imprint
Book Cover PROOF SAMPLE PDF, downloaded from the Setup Publication publishing wizard. Orange spine shown to highlight break in front and back cover files and show retail-friendly back cover white bar reserved for auto-printed book metadata.
SAMPLE 6x9 BOOK COVER
Jump to your FastPencil Project Dashboard. Or learn more about:
- Publication Setup Button - How to Prepare for Publishing
- How Do I Buy My Book? (Author Pricing, Bulk Orders, Wholesale Discounts)
- Post-Publishing & Distribution Next Steps: What to Expect
Publishing with FastPencil allows authors to write, print, publish and sell books and e-books publicly (or privately) in multiple formats and sizes with ISBNs available. Plus, Professional Author Services are available for those who would like to distribute through Global Partner Networks. Reach sales and budget goals while selling through Amazon, B&N, iBooks, BAM! and more by publishing just once from one simple platform.
Ask FastPencil pros about any stage of the book publishing life cycle:
- Write a Book + eBook from one project (Start a New Project)
- Establish your brand and engage with your network
- Professional Editorial & Cover services from industry-leading partners
- Create your own cover (does it look great at various sizes?)
- How to Print a draft / (ARC) advanced review copy
- Free proof reviews, downloaded to your desktop or device
- Prepare for publication: Here’s how to collect metadata easily
- Publish print book + e-book format bundles then distribute privately or globally, when desired, with this one button: